Grilled Mediterranean Cedar Plank Salmon Gyro Recipe
Dust off your patio furniture, because grilling season is almost upon us and we want to start it off just right by inspiring you with our Grilled Mediterranean Cedar Plank Salmon Gyro recipe.
It was a no-brainer to pick Mediterranean Diet Month to introduce you to this delicious, heart-healthy dish. A Mediterranean-style diet is rich in seafood, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and heart-healthy fats like nuts, seeds and olive oil. Seafood choices like shrimp, crab and salmon are chock-full of protein, vitamins and minerals, which are all incredibly beneficial to your health. In fact, according to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, we should be eating seafood at least 2-3 times a week to reap all of its nutritional benefits.
We chose salmon to be the star of this outdoor dish because it is a true superfood, and Wild Alaskan Salmon will be available mid May! Hooray! It’s the perfect low-fat, high-protein selection for your first BBQ of the year, and as the premier omega-3-filled protein, it can help reduce inflammation, lower triglycerides and boost heart and brain health.
This Greek-inspired grilled salmon recipe also provides the perfect combination of fresh vegetables, salty olives and our popular creamy cucumber dipping sauce. So break out your cedar plank, because this smoky summertime favorite is the perfect way to kick off the months of grilling ahead.
Follow the simple steps below and you’ll have a tasty meal ready to impress any crowd!
Grilled Mediterranean Cedar Plank Salmon Gyros
Makes 4 servings.
Cooking tools needed: grill, cedar plank(available in our store), tongs
1 lb. boneless salmon fillet, (available in our store)
1 lemon, halved
1 tsp. olive oil
4 whole-wheat pitas or 4 slices flatbread
Creamy Cucumber sauce, (available in our store)
1 cup baby spinach, torn
½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved or sliced, (found in our store)
Feta cheese, for garnish (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Soak cedar plank in water for an hour.
2. Season salmon with juice from half of lemon, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Set aside while plank soaks. Cut other half of lemon into thin slices.
3. Heat grill to medium-high, close lid. While grill is heating, place salmon on cedar plank and top with remaining lemon slices. Place plank on grill, directly over heat, for 3-4 minutes, until plank starts to char.
4. Using tongs, transfer plank to indirect heat on side of grill; cover grill and cook for 12-15 minutes or until salmon is cooked. Warm pitas or flatbreads on grill, about 1-2 minutes per side.
5. Place warmed pitas or flatbreads on plates. Spread creamy cucumber sauce over each pita/flatbread, cover each with baby spinach, tomatoes and olives, and top each with salmon.
6. Garnish with feta, if desired. Fold and enjoy!